Friday, July 2, 2010
Hearty Food in Summertime? Crazy!
Tonight's recipe was made in the crock-pot and is White Bean Chicken Chili. I served it with corn muffins and it is definitely going to be in our regular rotation. If you like a little more heat in your chili, leave the seeds in the pablano and jalapeno peppers or add a little hot sauce at the end to spice it up!
White Chicken Chili
- olive oil
- 1 large green pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 1 poblano pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 1 medium-sized onion (chopped)
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp. + 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. + 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 lbs. bone-in, split chicken breasts
- 2 cans cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
1. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once heated, add peppers, onion, garlic, 1 tbsp. cumin and 1 tbsp. coriander. Cover and cook, occasionally stirring for 5-8 minutes until just tender.
2. Transfer pepper mixture to crock pot, add chicken, beans and broth. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 6 hours.
3. Remove cooked chicken breast and shred meat from bones.
4. Add shredded chicken back into the crock pot and stir in 1/2 tsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp. coriander, lime juice and salt to taste.
5. Let cook for another 30 minutes to blend flavors then serve topped with shredded cheese and sour cream.