Thursday, January 6, 2011
Kate's Stuffed Peppers (tweaked)
- 6 red or green bell peppers (I only did 4 this time)
- 1 cup cooked corn
- 2 cups cooked white rice (not instant)
- 1 lb. sausage (I used turkey sausage, she uses chorizo sausage)
- 12 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 diced onion
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (I left this out)
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup milk
- 8 oz. goat cheese (I could only find the kind with roasted red peppers in it - yum!)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and cut the peppers in half, scooping out the insides. Place them in a 13x9 baking pan.
2. Brown the sausage and onions together, then add in the corn, rice, tomato sauce, cumin, paprika and pepper flakes.
3. Stuff the peppers and bake them uncovered for 45 minutes, until the tops are nice and browned.
4. While the peppers are baking you can make the goat cheese cream sauce (my mouth is watering just reading that!). Melt the butter in a saucepan on medium heat, then add the flour and cook a few minutes until a paste is formed. Lower the heat to low and add in the milk, whisking until the mixture is thickened.
5. Add goat cheese and continue cooking until the sauce thickens. I also added the roasted red peppers to the sauce, they added a really great depth of flavor to the goat cheese.
6. Once the peppers are done, plate them and drizzle the goat cheese sauce all over the top and sides. I served the peppers with cornbread and they will definitely be making repeat appearances at our dinner table!