Sunday, January 23, 2011
Unorthadox Football Snacks
That being said, it is insanely easy to eat complete junk while watching sports. So today I decided to try something else - Baked Kale Chips and Strawberry Smoothies. I have to say that Aaron was a bigger fan of the Kale Chips than I was - but the smoothies were a hit.
A warning if you're going to try the Kale Chips - they do get very *ahem* fragrant as they bake, kind of a funky smell. Also, don't use too much olive oil or they'll be really greasy.
Baked Kale Chips
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
1. Cut the kale into bite-sized pieces, think about the size of a large potato chip and drizzle with olive oil - just enough to evenly coat the greens. Toss in salt and pepper, being sure it completely coats the kale.
2. Spread the kale evenly out on a baking sheet (I lined mine with a silicone mat to prevent burning) and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. These burn really quick, so if your oven runs hot keep an eye on them.
Eat 'em up and enjoy! Then Febreeze spray your kitchen to kill the smell!
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 3/4 cup nonfat yogurt (I used vanilla)
- 1/2 cup apple juice (or orange juice)
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 5bsp. flaxseed meal
1. This is a simple recipe, just whir everything up in a blender...I crushed up the strawberries, yogurt and juice first, then when it was smooth I added in the honey and flaxseed before giving it another good mix.
2. Pour it into a glass and enjoy (I doubled the recipe so we could both have a glass). This is a great recipe that has no fat in it if you use nonfat yogurt! The flaxseed adds a whopping 6 grams of fiber too...plus it tastes way better than other forms of fiber (i.e. carboard-box-tasting cereal)!