I have been a lax food blogger! I can't even tell you how many times in the past week or so I've thought "I wish I had time to write"...yet life has intervened with fabulous friends visiting from across the pond, not to mention that my husband and I moved into a new apartment and realized that 99% percent of our possessions are in the form of books. Heavy, heavy HEAVY boxes of books!
Our good friend Tony, who was generous enough to be one of the group of fabulous friends who helped us haul all those boxes upstairs into our new home in 90 degree heat, said - "I know what gift I'll never give you guys...A BOOK!"
One of the awesome things that has kept me from this blog lately was a visit from friends of mine. My best friend since we were 9 years old now lives in the UK with her husband, so we don't get to spend much time together. Thankfully, they usually travel to the US at least once (twice when we're lucky!) a year and Becks was able to be a bridesmaid in my wedding this past fall.
She and her husband, Chris, share my love for cooking and foodie-related fun, so of course we cooked while they were visiting! We also went strawberry picking in the horrific 90+ degree Maryland heat in order to put together an incredibly delicious dessert.
I was lucky enough to find rhubarb at the u-pick place, so I had to share my Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp recipe with them...and it was received with much celebration!
They both helped a ton with the prep - especially of the strawberries! Chris chopped up about 85% of the veg and fruit for the salsa below...which was so yummy we couldn't stop eating it!
Check out the recipe below, it is one I'll absolutely be making again...it is a great warm-weather meal, not a lot of prep and fuss but packed with fresh and delicious flavor and just a little bit of heat.
Chicken Soft Tacos w/ Mango Avocado Salsa
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves cut into 1” pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced peeled mango
- 1/2 cup diced peeled avocado
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1/3 cup pre-chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño pepper
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
1. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Combine all of the spices; stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt. Rub over chicken. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan.
2. While chicken cooks, combine mango, avocado, tomato, onion, lime juice and jalapeño; stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, along with a sprinkle of coriander and cumin. Heat tortillas according to package directions; top with chicken and salsa.
Thanks Chris for chopping up all the delicious ingredients! I could get used to having my own personal sous chef!