Ok, so I don't know what was with me this week! To be fair, I didn't make a lot of new recipes, I actually relied on a few repeats that we really enjoy. But I did bake up something new and delicious for this morning's worship band and tonight I tried out a new soup recipe...
Did I take photos?
Tonight my friend Meghan was visiting and helping me cook and I got so into just having fun with someone else in the kitchen that I completely spaced on taking photos to share with you!
Meghan and I have been friends since high school and she's one of those awesomely laid back people that I know will be a lifelong friend. I'm so blessed to have her in my life.
Check it out -this was us in high school...
...and then there's us last October when Aaron and I got married. A slight difference, right?! Not to mention, I'm no longer bleached blond!
Anyway - back to the food! Food is always so much fun when it can be social, so I love it when my friends or family and I are in the kitchen together. Meghan is also the first official "guest" we've had since moving to our new place, so it was wonderful having her here for the weekend.
I do want to share this soup recipe with you, it turned out so well and was seriously easy! This is the original recipe: Potato-Leek Soup with Bacon, but I made a few changes...so take note!
- I didn't make the toasted croutons to serve with. I served a fresh tomato bruschetta on crostini instead. We LOVE bruschetta and use soup as an excuse to eat a lot of it!
- I used 6 strips of bacon instead of 4 and omitted the butter in the recipe, just using bacon drippings for more flavor.
- I used 3 russet potatoes instead of 2.
- I used 3/4 cup instead of a 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
- I omitted the frozen peas (BLECH!), paprika and fresh parsley, subbing in a tbsp. each of dried parsley and dried tarragon at the end to finish off the flavors.
Whew! Ok, sorry - that's a decent amount of changes, but I hope you try it - it is probably my favorite potato soup recipe I've experimented with so far. Here's to a great weekend with a wonderful friend, yummy food and many more weekends like it to come!