He recreated one of my absolute favorite dishes from our honeymoon. When we were at Disney on our honeymoon, we visited Iron Chef Cat Cora's restaurant, where I had the most delicious breakfast I have ever eaten! The stacked breakfast at Kouzzina is i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e. I am drooling on the keyboard just thinking about it right now...and contemplating buying a ticket to Orlando just so I can eat it again!
What's in the stacked breakfast? First there is this incredible sweet potato hash topped with poached eggs. The crown of the breakfast is this delicious, buttery artichoke spread and you pile some of the hash, the egg and the spread on the olive bread and gobble it down as fast as you can...savoring every bite of course. I honestly was sad when I finished this meal, because it was over and we had to leave for the airport...sigh.
So Aaron (my husband) didn't exactly recreate the entire breakfast, but he hit it out of the park with this incredible Sweet Potato Hash...might actually have had better flavor than Cat's! We didn't go as far as making the artichoke spread or the olive bread - next time we'll try that for sure!
Hub's Cat Cora-esque Sweet Potato Hash
- vegetable oil
- 1/2 vidalia onion (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 jalapeno (seeds and ribs removed, diced)
- 1.5 lbs. sweet potatoes
- cayenne pepper
*I didn't list measurements for the spices because Aaron doesn't really measure when he cooks...this is probably why he doesn't bake!
1. Pour enough oil in the bottom of a large heavy-bottomed skillet so it covers. Add in the onion, bell pepper and jalapeno. Sprinkle in salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne and cinnamon (about half of what you'd use in the entire dish) - saute, stirring for about 5 minutes. While you wait for the flavors to marry, chop up your sweet potatoes
2. Add in the sweet potatoes and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring and adding more spices to taste as the veggies all cook down together. Continue to turn the sweet potatoes well so they all get browned and semi-caramelized.
3. You're done! Just serve it up and enjoy...gloat about how awesome your mad cooking skills are...top with eggs. Any type would be good, but we chose over-easy eggs and they were so yummy on top of the hash! Hope you guys try the recipe and let me know how you like our Iron Chef imitation honeymoon breakfast!