I am always looking for new recipes using chicken. I've come up with some great ones, some mediocre ones and, to be honest, one or two icky ones. We do eat a decent amount of chicken - definitely more than beef or pork, so constantly re-inventing it with new flavor combinations is a must.
I was slightly skeptical about this recipe when I came across it. I wasn't sure Asian flavors could really translate into a burger format, not to mention I had never tried making a burger out of ground chicken. Meatballs, yes, but a burger?
The fates were at work last week when ground chicken was on sale at our local grocery store, so I had to give it a shot. I was surprised at how moist and flavorful the burgers were, not to mention the subtle complexities of the Asian flavors. It was absolutely delicious and satisfied my craving for something new connected with chicken!
I found the original recipe in an issue of Food Network Magazine and just made a few tweaks.
Asian Chicken Burgers
- 1 small carrot
- 1 small red onion (halved)
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger (peeled)
- 4 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tsp. sweet Asian chili sauce
- 8 oz. white mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- Juice from one lime
- Burger buns (4)
1. Preheat the oven to 375, line a baking sheet with foil and mist with a non-stick cooking spray. Grate the carrot and half of the onion into a large bowl. Add in the chicken, Panko, 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce, ginger, 3 tsp. soy sauce and 1 tsp. chili sauce. Mix until just combined.
2. Shape the chicken mixture into 4 patties and place on the baking sheet. Bake until cooked through - about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, slice the mushrooms and remaining oven extremely thin. Toss with the sesame oil, lime juice, 1 tsp. soy sauce, 2 tbsp. hoisin and 2 tsp. chili sauce. Add mixture to a nonstick skillet and saute until onions are soft and sauce is reduced.
3. Spread a thin layer of the mushroom sauce on the bottom part of a burger bun, top with a patty and finish with more of the mushrooms.
Let me know what your favorite chicken recipe is, I'd love to try it!