I am happy to say that Baby Knives and I seem to have come to an understanding...we need vegetables! For the past few days veggies have finally started to sound good to me, I've been munching on raw cucumbers and cherry tomatoes all day and tonight I decided to cook up some vegetable fajitas for dinner.
This is a good basic recipe, but I plan on adding more to it the next time I put this meal together. I think mushrooms would be a great addition, plus I might swap in black beans instead of the pinto beans, add shredded cabbage for texture and add a few more spices like cumin and coriander. The great thing about a lot of vegetarian dishes is that you can pile on all kinds of veggies and it just rounds out the flavors, not to mention adds more nutrients to your system!
- 1 onion (sliced thin)
- 1 tbsp. garlic (minced)
- 2 bell peppers (sliced thin)
- 15 oz. canned pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 3 tbsp. red chili sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Flour tortillas
- Shredded cheese (to serve)
- Sour cream (to serve)
1. Heat about 2 tbsp. oil in a large skillet and add the onion and garlic. Generously season with salt and pepper and sweat until softened.
2. Add in the sliced peppers and toss to combine, cooking for about 5 minutes. Add in the beans and chili sauce, stirring well and cook until just heated through.
3. Serve the mixture up in warmed tortillas and top with cheese and sour cream.
What's your favorite vegetarian dish?